If you own a Keurig K Supreme coffee maker, you know how important it is to descale the machine regularly to ensure it functions properly. However, sometimes, even after descaling, the “descale light” won’t turn off, leaving you frustrated and unsure of what to do. This article will provide you with some troubleshooting tips to help you resolve the issue and return your Keurig K Supreme to its optimal state.
What does descale light won’t turn off mean?
The descale light on a Keurig K Supreme indicates that the machine needs to be cleaned to remove mineral buildup inside the water tubes. If the descale light won’t turn off, it may mean that the cleaning process was not completed properly or the machine requires additional cleaning cycles to remove all the mineral buildup. In some cases, the machine may need to be descaled manually by using a descaling solution, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Keurig K Supreme Descale Light Won’t Turn Off
1. Incorrect descaling procedure
One common cause of the Keurig K Supreme descale light not turning off is an incorrect descaling procedure. If the descaling solution is not properly mixed or is too weak, the machine may not be able to properly descale and remove all the mineral buildup, causing the light to remain on. It is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to ensure proper descaling.
2. Dirty water reservoir
Another common cause of the Keurig K Supreme descale light not turning off is a dirty or contaminated water reservoir. If the water in the reservoir is not fresh and clean, the machine may not be able to properly function or descale. It is important to regularly clean and maintain the water reservoir to ensure proper machine function.
3. Scale build-up
Scale build-up is another common cause of the Keurig K Supreme descale light not turning off. Over time, mineral deposits can accumulate in the machine’s internal parts, causing it to malfunction or not properly descale. Regular descaling can help prevent scale build-up, but if it has already occurred, additional cleaning may be required.
4. Mechanical issues
Finally, mechanical issues can also cause the Keurig K Supreme descale light to remain on. This can include issues with the machine’s sensors or internal components. If the previous steps, such as proper descaling and cleaning, do not address the issue, the machine may need to be inspected by a professional technician to diagnose and repair any mechanical issues.
1. Proper descaling
When the Keurig K Supreme descale light won’t turn off, the first thing to do is to properly descale the machine. This means following the manufacturer’s instructions for descaling, which usually involves running a descaling solution through the machine to remove mineral buildup. If the descaling light continues to stay on, it may be necessary to repeat the descaling process or use a stronger descaling solution.
2. Clean the water reservoir
Another possible solution when the Keurig K Supreme descale light won’t turn off is to clean the water reservoir. This involves removing the reservoir from the machine, emptying any remaining water, and wiping it down with a damp cloth. It’s also important to check for any mineral buildup or debris in the reservoir, which can cause the machine to malfunction. If there is any buildup, it should be removed using a brush or toothbrush.
3. Deep clean the Keurig machine
If the descale light still won’t turn off after proper descaling and cleaning the water reservoir, it may be necessary to deep clean the Keurig machine. This involves disassembling the machine to clean the internal parts, such as the needle that punctures the K-cup and the coffee outlet. A deep clean can remove any buildup that may be causing the descale light to stay on, and can improve the overall performance of the machine.
4. Seek professional help
Finally, if all other solutions fail, it may be best to seek professional help. A certified Keurig technician can diagnose and fix any issues with the machine, including a descale light that won’t turn off. Trying to fix the machine yourself without the proper knowledge or tools can cause more harm than good, so it’s important to seek professional assistance if necessary.
Cleaning and Maintenance
How to clean
- Turn off and unplug the machine
- Remove the water reservoir and lid, K-cup holder, and drip tray
- Wipe down the exterior of the machine with a damp cloth
- Wash the reservoir, lid, K-cup holder and drip tray with warm soapy water, and rinse thoroughly
- Clean the needle that punctures the K-cups or pods by using a paperclip or the Keurig cleaning tool
- Clean the machine using the Keurig descaling solution or a mixture of vinegar and water, following the manufacturer’s instructions
- Run a few cycles of plain water through the machine to rinse it thoroughly
- Reassemble the cleaned components and plug in the machine
- Clean the machine regularly, following the manufacturer’s instructions
- Use filtered water to reduce mineral buildup in the water tubes
- Remove and empty the water reservoir after each use to prevent mold growth
- Descale the machine as soon as the descale light turns on, to prevent damage to the machine
- Keep the machine in a dry and cool place to prevent humidity and temperature fluctuations
- Do not use the machine without water in the reservoir
- Do not insert any material other than K-cups or pods in the K-cup holder
- Do not open the machine while brewing, to avoid burns from hot water or steam
- Do not immerse the machine in water or any liquid
- Disconnect the machine before cleaning or maintenance
- Supervise children when using the machine, to avoid accidents.
By following the troubleshooting tips mentioned above, you should be able to resolve the Keurig K Supreme descale light issue quickly and easily. However, if none of these solutions work, you may need to contact Keurig’s customer support team for further assistance or consider taking your machine to a professional for repair.